Cable TV Consumer Rights
As a cable TV subscriber (with either Comcast or CenturyLink) in Eden Prairie, Edina, Hopkins, Minnetonka and Richfield you have the following rights:
- Your cable operator must provide a clear procedure for resolving complaints printed on each subscriber bill and the cable operator’s 24 hour phone number for subscriber complaints.
- Your cable operator must provide information concerning the procedures to follow when you are unsatisfied with the measures taken by the cable operator to remedy your complaint.
- You have the right to appeal your complaint to the SWSCC Administrator for assistance, after contacting your cable operator without satisfaction.
- Standard Installations will be performed within 7 business days after an order has been placed.
- A time for a service call within a time block equal to or less than 4 hours in length.
- Telephone answering time of less than 30 seconds, with an additional 30 seconds maximum time to transfer the call to a customer service representative no less than 90% of the time, measured on a quarterly basis.
- Receive from the cable company the following materials, once every 12 months:
- Products and Services offered;
- Prices and options for programming services and conditions of subscription to programming and other services;
- Installation and Service maintenance policies;
- Instructions on how to use the cable service;
- Channel positions of programming carried on the cable system; and
- Billing and complaint procedures, including the address and telephone number of the City’s cable office.
- A least 30 days prior notice of any significant changes in the information listed above.
- Customer service centers and bill payment locations must be open at least during Normal Business Hours and will be conveniently located.
- Upon request you are entitled to receive a credit on your next bill of an amount equal to 1/30 of the monthly charge for loss of service for more 24 consecutive hours.
- A telephone contact number for service or billing problems clearly displayed on your monthly bill.
- A billing statement that is clear, concise and understandable.
- A written response within 30 days of receipt of your billing complaint.
- Refund checks issued to you no later than the next billing cycle following resolution of the request or 30 days, whichever is earlier, or the return of the equipment supplied by the cable operator if cable service is terminated.
- Credits for cable service must be issued no later than the customer’s next billing cycle following the determination that a credit is warranted.
- Cable operator shall provide all customer service technicians and all employees entering private property with appropriate picture identification so that cable operator employees can be easily identified by the property owners and subscribers.
- Safe streets and walkways free of cable company wires or equipment interfering with their use.
Questions regarding the above Cable TV Consumer Rights can be directed to the SWSCC Administrator at (612) 877-5349 or via email to Terri.Hammer@lawmoss.com